Friday, September 19, 2008

Answer to D on Stinging Nettle

D asked about the Stinging Nettle talked about in the Poison Ivy article. I would like to respond to that question but didn't see her eaddress so will answer it for everyone. I do grow Stinging Nettle. It doesn't seem to need much gardening. Mine grows to three and a half feet tall but I have seen it as tall as five feet. I have mine in the middle of a twelve by twelve foot box garden. It reseeds itself and likes "nitrogen-rich soil, wastelands". My original plants came from Baraboo Wisconsin and were growing on Elephant dung piles, created by the Baraboo Circus.

I also have raspberry growing in the same box as the nettle. We have deer in the area and they like to eat the tops of the raspberry stalks. I notice that when they hit the nettle, they no longer continue to nibble the raspberries.

The idea of putting Nettle in the middle of my raspberries was so that I can continue to have them in my yard and anyone viewing my gardens will not get stung. If you have ever been stung you would know that this is not a pleasant thing. Native Americans used the stinging for healing purposes just as we use heating salves to draw blood to an area that is hurting.

I hope that I have answered this question and will continue to answer any question put to me if I am able. oakwelherb@aol.com

No comments: